New York, N.Y. -- The nation's largest organization, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, joined with LEGAL ONE and Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care to launch a new online training program for educators on how to prevent suicide in our schools. Signs Matter: Early Detection will show K-12 teachers how and when to express concern and refer students to counseling staff or administration.
The online, school-based training program includes:
- A close look at the most common mental health problems and how they typically present in a school setting
- Real-world scenarios (vignettes) in an elementary, middle and high school setting to help educators better identify students in need of help
- An online assessment tool to ensure that all participants have gained an understanding of the material covered
- Resources for understanding a school's role in suicide prevention
- Review of legal requirements for schools to keep in mind