Teaneck, N.J. -- The first four years of schooling are a critical time for children to learn foundational skills in reading such as fluency, language skills and comprehension. More than ever before, reading skills are also required in mathematics due to the amount of word problems. Although many children seem to be doing fine in school, research shows otherwise. According to the Nation’s Report Card from 2015, only 36 percent of fourth grade children are proficient readers. The other 64 percent are considered basic readers and four times more likely to drop out of high school.
Kumon, the world’s largest after-school math and reading program, is offering 50 percent off their reading registration, up to a $25 value, at participating learning centers in the Northeast from March 1-31. Many Kumon students in North America are studying material one to three years above their grade level in reading.
“Reading proficiency by the end of the third grade – a major predictor of future educational outcomes- is one of the most important benchmarks in a child’s academic journey,” says Dominique Ciccarelli, Ed.M., education spokesperson at Kumon North America. “The Kumon Reading Program can develop reading proficiency by instructing students to carefully read a question, to understand what the question in asking, and decide which information should be used to answer the problem.”
The Kumon program strengthens students’ reading ability by building other essential literacy components such as vocabulary, grammar, and interpretation. Developing strong reading skills early sets an important foundation for school success.
Visit kumon.com for a list of participating Kumon centers.