BC-NY--Choking Student Saved/156
NY school aide saves boy who was choking on cafeteria food
PHILADELPHIA, N.Y. (AP) — An aide at a northern New York school is being credited with saving a student choking on a piece of food, the third child she has saved from choking during her 18-year career.
The Watertown Daily Times reports (http://bit.ly/1L1H6Od ) Janna Cook was in the cafeteria at Indian River Intermediate School in the town of Philadelphia, New York, last Thursday when a 9-year-old boy began choking on a piece of breaded shrimp.
The 53-year-old library and media professional aide rushed over to the boy and performed the Heimlich maneuver at least 10 times before the food was dislodged from his throat.
Six months ago she saved a student who was choking on a peanut butter sandwich. In 2002 while working at the local primary school, she saved a student who was choking on a chip.
Information from: Watertown Daily Times, http://www.watertowndailytimes.com
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.